Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Farewell JR

The community showed their respects to the family as we buried JR yesterday. For me, the viewing was difficult...but seeing his casket closed at the funeral and knowing that it would never be opened again was very hard for me. Natalie (JR's wife) chose three beautiful songs to be played and they couldn't have been more perfect for him.

For those of you who had the honor of knowing JR, please remember and cherish all the good times you shared with him. JR and I were good friends in college and stayed in touch after we graduated by chatting at the gym whenever we saw each other. There was never a dull moment with him, and I have so many hilarious memories of things we did together. Don't harp on the difficult struggles he had with cancer and the heartache he must have felt through it all. He would not want us to relive that emotional pain.

Last night, Larry and I spent the evening reflecting on all the good times we had with JR. We laughed... we cried... and it helped us heal from the loss. I was able to talk to Larry about my emotions and the guilt I was feeling about his death. We were able to help one another deal with unanswered questions. I felt uplifted afterwards, and I think we both felt at peace with knowing that JR is now in Heaven and no longer in pain.

There is one huge aspect of life that JR's passing should remind all of us. Don't take anything for granted. If someone would've told JR that his life would end at 30 years old, he wouldn't have believed them. None of us have a guarantee that we will live to an old age. As a police officer's wife, I have learned to cherish every moment I have with my husband because every time he goes to work, it may be the last time I get to give him a kiss. But what if my time comes before his? Have I lived my life to the fullest? Have you?

I will close with this: If you perished tomorrow, would you have any regrets about your life? Would you be proud of your accomplishments? Have you been a good parent, a good spouse, a good samaritan? Have you lived your life the way Christ would want you to? Do you have Christ in your heart? Will you leave a legacy that your children will be proud of? I'm sure JR thought of these questions before his death, and I know that he stood tall when he entered through the gates of Heaven. I pray that each of us will be able to stand as tall as he did when our time comes.

God Bless

1 comment:

Jade.Sanford said...

I am so sorry for your loss. There are no words to describe the feeling of losing a good friend, I know all too well.
Hugs to you.